Botanical Name – Cucumissativus Linn
Family – Cucurbitaceae
Cucumber is a creeper found in the wild and also abundantly cultivated all over India for its use as a vegetable. The cucumber is pale green in color with many seeds inside the fruit, which are pointed at both the ends.
Cucumber is widely used in Ayurvedic treatment for difficulty in urination, excessive thirst, headache, insomnia and holds a good promise in liver cancer treatment. It is called Trapusha in Sanskrit.
Medicinal properties of Cucumber
– Rasa (Taste) – Madhura (Sweet)
– Guna (Qualities) – Laghu (Light)
– Vipaka – Madhura (undergoes sweet taste after digestion)
– Veerya (Potency) – Sheeta (Cold)
– Karma (Action) – Pitta hara (reduces the vitiated pitta), Mutrala (helps in easy urination)